Crimes are committed every day across the country and in the state of California. In terms of size, California is the third-largest state in the country and when it comes to population, California has the most residents of any other state.
When compared to the rest of the nation:
- The state’s murder rate is just below the national average.
- The state’s rape rate is lower than the national average.
- The state’s robbery rate is significantly higher than the national average.
- The state’s assault rate is higher than the national average.
- The state’s burglary rate is much higher than the national average.
- The state’s theft rate a bit lower than the national average.
- The state’s car theft rate is much higher than the national average.
If you were arrested in California, you need effective and dedicated legal representation to overcome your charges and secure the best possible outcome. The Manshoory Law Group is a Los Angeles criminal defense law firm that has your best interests in mind and is dedicated to finding ways to reduce your charges or have your case thrown out.
Most Common Crimes in California
Each day, people are arrested and accused of committing crimes in California. The majority of crimes that are committed most often tend to be misdemeanors. The following crimes happen with higher frequency in the state:
Even though it is legal to have and use marijuana, there are limits on how much a person can have in their possession. There are also age limits as to how old a person must be to use marijuana. If you violate these guidelines you will be arrested.
Violence purposely committed on individuals that live together or have some type of intimate relationship with each other such as spouses or family members is considered domestic battery and is illegal.
- Driving while intoxicated on drugs, alcohol, or both is not only incredibly dangerous but it is unlawful.
- Stealing merchandise from a store or other business that is valued under $950 will result in shoplifting charges.
- Using someone else’s credit card fraudulently and deceptively is credit card fraud.
First-time offenders will tend to get the lower of the punishment assessed with the crimes committed. Subsequent crimes that are done by the same person will have much harsher consequences. Penalties can include increasingly expensive fines, time in jail, probation, suspension of driver’s license, community service, and mandatory drug counseling.
Very serious crimes like murder were punishable by death. However, in 2019, Governor Gavin Newsom put a moratorium on the death penalty by way of the executive order. Governor Newsom’s executive actions gave people on death row a reprieve and also requested getting rid of lethal injection and shutting down the San Quentin State Prison’s execution chamber.
Speak with a Los Angeles Criminal Defense Attorney Today
The Manshoory Law group can advocate on your behalf if you were arrested for a minor crime or a very serious offense in the greater Los Angeles region. The Los Angeles criminal defense attorneys at the Manshoory Law Group understand what it takes to build a strong defense plan and have the resources and relationships in place to support it. You can schedule a meeting with one of the talented California criminal defense attorneys at the Manshoory Law Group to discuss your case free of charge by calling (877) 977-7750.